Wednesday 2 October 2013

33 Day Challenge: Mexican

I had high hopes and lots of inspiration for this prompt. I don't think I've mentioned it but I was born in Mexico and lived there for more than half my life (just!) before moving to Australia. This should have been my scene!!! I thought of a lot of possible designs I could create and settled for one idea  but the execution was poor. Actually, it was OK until I added top coat. Have a look for yourselves. 

I based my design on my home state's traditional dress called 'China Poblana'. The (short version of the) legend says there was a Mongolian princess that was kidnapped at the age of 8 by 17th century Portuguese explorers and eventually taken to Mexico to be sold as a slave. Due to her beauty, she was originally going to be sold to the viceroy of New Spain but a higher bidder came out of Puebla where she was finally taken. She was given the Hispanic name Catarina de San Juan and was sort of adopted, but remained a slave, by the Soza family and was taught how to saw, among other things. Even though the origin of  the dress is very hazy, most versions of the story say that Catarina was the designer of the dress, which was a fusion of her natal Mongolian attires and Mexican influences. When the patriarch of the family died she was sent to a convent and after she died at the well into her 80's, she was worshiped as a saint in Puebla until the church banned popular saints. There are as many variations to the legend as there are variations of the dress and I don't claim to be an expert. That's the story I remember from school and bits I researched on the world wide web.


Back to the nails, I used a heap of polishes and tools so I'm just going to list them.

Light Green:  Ulta3 in Jelly
Dark Green:   Ulta3 in Frog Prince
Red:             Revlon in Fire Fox
'Skirt' glitter: Rimmel in Disco Ball 
White:          Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in White On
Yellow:         Ulta3 in Honolulu
Gold:            Sally Hansen in Golden-I
Light Brown:  Essie in Hot Coco
Topcoat:       Seche Vite

Smallest and small dotting tools and striping tape from eBay. Sticky tape from the supermarket. :)

This is one of the many versions of the dress. 

Source
I also included my thumb to represent the ribbons that are braided on the hair. I find thumb shots awkward so please excuse the following bad photo.


Before I added a topcoat of Seche Vite, there was a bit of texture on my index and ring fingers, which looked a lot better than the smooth versions. I added a final coat of Rimmel Pro Matte Finish to try and save it but it just made my mani chip very quickly. :(


I'm not sure what to think of this mani. I kinda like it because it made me think outside my comfort zone, especially the index that represents the shirt, but it doesn't look great altogether. If I hadn't applied topcoat, I would've been happier. I guess that teaches me to photograph every step of the mani!!! 

Check out the other talented ladies of the challenge.








Till next time,

Laura

7 comments:

  1. Soooo pretty! what a great source of inspiration. And your thumb is so cool! I love these nails <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was quite proud of myself for having the patience to do the thumb, so i'm glad it paid off!

      Delete
  2. Very cool inspiration. Totally understand the awkward thumb shots, but it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There so mani lacqueristas out there that have amazing hand poses. Maybe I need to start practicing!

      Delete
    2. Many, not mani for above. i'm gonna blame autocorrect here...

      Delete
  3. Great mani! I really like it! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was really fun to create and wear!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read our blog posts AND to comment! We'll read and try to reply to every comment.

Please no link dropping and spamming, it's just not cool. If you've taken the time to comment on my post, I will check you out through whatever profile you've commented with. Enjoy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...